Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Intentionally rusting metal...

Stains you bet. I have an expensive lab coat with a custom IC logo on the back
while the front is rusting orange. Been that way for 38 years and who knows how
many washings and bleaching. I thought maybe I could find a chemical that turns
Iron color into blue. I want to say there is one - and maybe it is soluble in water
or something I could use to clean the coat once and for all. That's life.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 01:53:40 -0800, the renowned "A.P."
wrote:

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
y.com...

I have several ideas on this, but I'm sure some other folks have better
ones.

An artist friend of mine asked how to impart a "rust" patina to a welded
steel sculpture. The object in question is made of steel rod/tubing and

is

MIG welded together. It is too big to dip in any ordinary container, but
small enough that one man can handle it easily.

I suppose he could wash it in something like laquer thinner and leave it
outside (heavy dew, misty rain, etc. this time of the year). Or maybe

spray

it with some mild acid...

Ideas?

"Ferro Cloride" will do the job. It makes everything (stainless-cromed)
stain quikcly.
A yellow solid substance that you dissolve in warm water , get it in a
drugstore etc

Warning : Maby the acid will make your sculpture fall apart after 6 moths
? !!!

AP

Just the vapor from FeCl etchant will rust everything in a room that's
susceptible. Keep it away from your tools and machinery. Permanently
stains clothes too.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany