Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Default Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Grumman-581 writes:

Have you considered
possibly just replacing the stock bumper with something more sturdy?

This is a long thread. Earlier, I explained why that is not a good idea.

I want a sacrificial bumper to spare the frame in a moderate collision.
The stock TJ bumpers are cheap and easily replaced. (Ridiculously easy;
I've done it. Ridiculously cheap because of all the aftermarket adding-on
yielding surplus stock bumpers on eBay.)

A bumper made of, say, 4 x 4 x 1/4 steel box beam would survive a moderate
collision, but leave you with a bent frame.