Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

Default Intentionally rusting metal...

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 01:53:40 -0800, the renowned "A.P."
wrote:

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
.com...
I have several ideas on this, but I'm sure some other folks have better
ones.

An artist friend of mine asked how to impart a "rust" patina to a welded
steel sculpture. The object in question is made of steel rod/tubing and

is
MIG welded together. It is too big to dip in any ordinary container, but
small enough that one man can handle it easily.

I suppose he could wash it in something like laquer thinner and leave it
outside (heavy dew, misty rain, etc. this time of the year). Or maybe

spray
it with some mild acid...

Ideas?

"Ferro Cloride" will do the job. It makes everything (stainless-cromed)
stain quikcly.
A yellow solid substance that you dissolve in warm water , get it in a
drugstore etc

Warning : Maby the acid will make your sculpture fall apart after 6 moths
? !!!

AP

Just the vapor from FeCl etchant will rust everything in a room that's
susceptible. Keep it away from your tools and machinery. Permanently
stains clothes too.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany