Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Skinner

Default Intentionally rusting metal...

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 00:03:25 GMT, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:

I have several ideas on this, but I'm sure some other folks have better
ones.

Hi Jerry,
I've experimented a bit with making new metal look old. I've put
together a web page for parts small enough that you can fit them into
some kind of bathtub: http://engines.rustyiron.com/electrolysis

For huge parts, I've been disappointed with hydrochloric acid. I
think all the acid does is clean off the metal and make it susceptible
to rusting by conventional means. You could just as easily wash off
the sculpture in lacqure thinner and then leave it out in the
elements.

Burying in the ground doesn't work so well, either. The best method
for natural rusting is leaving out in the air in a moist environment.

If you're in a hurry and the part is too big for electrolysis, Plum
Brown solution from (I think) Birchwood Casey works VERY nicely.
Heat it up, brush on the solution, and you're done.

Rob

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
www.rustyiron.com