Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Trying to hang a light fixture from my ceiling in my condo

wrote:
Hi all, I bought a stud finder in order to put a light fixture up in my
condo. This particular light fixture hangs from the ceiling. But when
I run the stud finder across the ceiling it doesn't find any spot that
is "clear" as it successfully does on my walls.

Just as a test to see if the stud finder was operating effectively on
the ceiling I attempted to drill in a couple of spots on the ceiling
with no success. It looked as if I was hitting metal. I'm obviously
unfamiliar with the construction of buildings (condiminiums in this
case) - but is it possible that my entire ceiling is just a series of
contiguous I beams or some other construction that would result in no
allowance for putting ceiling fixtures up (without something that can
drill through metal)? As one would expect the ceiling already has a
number of light fixtures in it - is it possible that there was no
accomodation made for adding further fixtures?

Thanks,
Novice

If you live in a condo, you are probably required (by city and/or condo.
assn.) to have a licensed electrician install a fixture )