Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Using an air tank for vacuum?

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:38:30 GMT, Ignoramus28190
wrote:

Can a typical "125 PSI air tank" be used as a "buffer" of vacuum? I
have some applications in mind like desoldering, where I would use
vacuum intermittently, and it would be nice to use a tank to "store"
vacuum. I was thinking about a use of an air tank. Not sure if regular
portable air tanks can be used for vacuum, but my own feeling is that
they should be OK. Just wanted to double check. Thanks

In general, no. I have personally seen an ASME-rated small air tank
(portable, probably 5 or 10 gallon) collapsed by pulling a vacuum in
it.