Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default A little metal crank

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:53:00 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:59:46 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

I used Caswell's nickel-plating chemicals and nickel anode at 50 mA
per square inch of workpiece. The stuff looks a bit pricey, but it
seems to last forever. I've been using this same batch for at least
7 years.

Have you ever used their electroless nickel ? How would you rate one
over the other (if you have) ?

Electroless nickel is neat because plating occurs everywhere, even
down in the roots of internal threads. There are no "shadows".

I have had intermittent results with it on brass. Sometimes it
works, sometimes it doesnt. It may depend on how much zinc
the brass contains.

It has to be heated to 195F to work, which can take a while.

It must eventually be replenished or replaced as the nickle gets used
up. Regular nickle doesn't need replenishment because it uses a
nickel anode.