Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY shower water heat recovery

Ian Stirling wrote:
wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

snip
I'm a little unclear about your diagram, so I might have misinterpreted
it, but its starting to look complex to construct and hard to get to
the muck storage to clean it. It seems theres no free lunch.

Hokay. Bigger diagram.

Shower floor. Removable plug

_________________ ____ _____ ___________________
|| |H| ||
|- | | --
| \_____/ |
| : : | | |
warm out| O O |
| : : |
| O O |
| : : |
\ O O / cold in
\ /
\ /
\___ __/
| |
To waste.

H is a removable hair filter. Below that is a circular dish, forming a
trap, over the edge of which the water flows down the heat exchanger
coil.
When you remove the inspection plate, which is a 20cm dia (or possibly square)
door, with a seal round the edge, the trap comes with it.
Then you simply take a bottle brush or something a bit fatter (there is
a 5cm gap round the outside for this purpose) and clean both sides of
the heat exchanger.

I'm envisioning the heat exchanger coil being fairly close wrapped, with
perhaps 5mm gaps between pipes.

Inside the top of the inspection chamber are a couple of lever valves,
to enable the coil to be bypassed, allowing it to be washed with very
hot water.

ahhhh, comprendi.

May I suggest a tweak: something closer to 6" high and nice and wide,
so you get plenty of coil in there, and lots of surface area. And so
the bath isnt half way up the wall

NT