Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Skip it OT.

Pete C wrote:

Thanks, some very good points though I think I'll stick with my USB
modem and software firewall for now. In due course I'll get an all in
one modem/firewall/wireless AP.

Unless you need wireless, then that is best turned off...

The rootkits are a bit worrying, just downloaded and tried out a
rootkit scanner:

http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/rootkitrevealer.html

Yes very good site - they have some really useful utilities for free
download.

There is some frightening stuff out there - including root kits that
write themselves to spare regions of flash on your MB or video card, so
that they can be present and up to mischief right from power on before
you get a chance to load *anything*

--
Cheers,

John.