Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Downsize Water Heater?

How much did the contractor want for both the 40 gal. and the 50 gal.?

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article .com,
" wrote:

Boy I wouldnt downsize! The larger tank costs so little more.

Oh, rats! I thought I had made-up my mind, now I'm not sure (again).
Thanks to everyone that replied. As a newbie to this NG, I was pleasantly
surprised to read so many prompt replies and not a flame among them - or
between them. Good show!

the bigger tank you can leave the water cooler saving energy costs

Has anyone REALLY "done the math" when considering: Lowering the water

heater
storage temp, I must then turn ON the dishwasher's heating elements to

achieve
the recommended dishwashing temp? I would chose to lower the tank

setting.

[larger] tanks last longer [and] are thermally stressed less

That makes sense. I am very disappointed in the relatively short life of

my
current water heater. It went into service November 1, 1991. Lessee...
That's about 14-1/2-years. Hmmm... Maybe that isn't so poor a life span

for
a minimally (never?)-maintained unit.

A good way to save $ is adding a hot water heater blanket, and
insulating the hot water lines too.

I plan to buy a unit with R16 insulation. It will live in our heated

laundry
room. (Dog house with utilities!) Subsequent heat loss is of little

concern,
even considering that I electrically cool perhaps four months/year. Only

few of the overall footage of piping COULD be insulated, so that's not

much
help in my case. I just wish I'd done it when the place was being built.

Now, on to the selection of a furnace. A first-time thing for me.
--

JR