Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

Default Single phase vs. three phase air conditioning

Bob wrote:
If your 3 Phase "is one cent a KW MORE than single phase", why would you
want 3 Phase. If you have extra money you want to spend, PayPal me some.
What brand of 3 Phase comes in 2 ton?

"Big Al" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
m...

Good point. I just looked at the Rheem/Ruud specs and 3 tons is the

smallest

with 3 Phase. When you get into higher SEERs, there's nothing 3 Phase.

"Stretch" wrote in message
egroups.com...

Al, I doubt you will find many 2-ton Three phase units available.

Most

three phase units are 3 ton & up. Go single phase.

Stretch

I found a two and a two and a half ton. What about operating costs? Is

three

phase more efficient or less expensive to run? My three phase is one cent

KW more than single phase.

Al

I have work in commercial field. Many problems could have is a brownout
or other problem on one of the phases which when other phases still have
power could damage the compressor motor. We had to many time have phase
protection on the power to these units that if a problem happed as such
would kill power for all phases. The equipment can be costly and
therefore may not be worth it for residential use.