Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default fix remote?

"Chas12" wrote in message
Hi, we have a 19" Panasonic tv, only a few years old, and it's remote
doesn't work. I wrote to the company, and they told me to remove all the
batteries, push every button to 'reset' the remote and try it again.
Nothing changed. Anyone have any advice? AND if I need to buy a new
remote, any recommendations?
Thanks,
Chas

If you've got a camcorder, or digital camera with lcd screen, try pointing
the remote into the lens and pushing a button on it. The infra red emitted
by the remote, is clearly visible to the camera's pickup, but not to your
naked eye. If you see a flashing light on the front of the remote, in your
camera's viewfinder, better than 90% chance that the remote itself is
working.

If it's not working, worth getting it to bits to have a look. This can be
tricky as often, they are clipped together. A very thin lever, such as a
modelling scalpel, is usually helpful to work around the crack, locating the
clips, and springing them by twisting. Once inside, look for fractured
joints on the battery connector springs, the infra red LED legs, the
electrolytic buffer cap often found across the battery supply, and if it's
not a surface mount type, the clock crystal or ceramic resonator. All of
these are common failing points in remotes, caused largely, I suspect, by it
being repeatedly dropped on the floor, and tossed from person to person ...

Arfa