Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Default lcd or plasma

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message
news:LO%Ef.7128$%i3.6061@trnddc02...

"RJK" wrote in message
...anyone know whatever happened to that flourescant or glowing plastic,
that was discovered and demonstrated 10 or 20 years ago ?
There was an item on t.v. news detailing how a lab-technician carrying a
UV lamp was walking past some test tubes containing liquid plastic,
noticed one / some of them glowed as he walked past. On the t.v. news
item, in a lab.somewhere, someone in a white coat was holding up a ribbon
cable with a small glass/plastic panel 2x2 inch? monochrome (in shades of
greenscale...if you see what I mean), with television motion / images
running on it. It was speculated that from this be developed into
wonderful color flat panel displays. without the complications of
"traditional" Lcd's / tft's and their complicated multi-layer
construction etc. ...and the "refresh" rate characteristics of this
"flourescant plastic" was akin to a CRT. What happened to it ?

regards, Richard

They probably couldn't produce the other necessary colors by the same
chemical process.

OLED is clearly taking the lead of next gen display tech. It's super
simple and cheap to fabricate the screens, thinner [and presumably lighter
weight] than any LCD or plasma TV's I've seen, offers true black, wide
viewing angle, low power consumption, etc.
I'm not dumping 3 grand into a plasma set now, when I know (ok speculate)
that by the time the mandated NTSC cutoff date arrives (2/17/09, last I
heard), OLED sets will be priced at or below that of competing plasmas.

^^^^^^^^
and LCD's!