Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

Default OT - Oh, You Mean THOSE Weapons Of Mass Destruction

In article , wrote:
Mark & Juanita wrote:

SNIP

... and no, I don't support the silliness of local governments building
stadiums like that for businesses like the NFL. However, if the local
government can make a business case indicating a net income benefit, there

They don't ... ever. CATO or somebody did a study a few years ago
to see how these sorts of projects fared when comparing the amount the
government paid out (directly or with tax breaks) against how much
actual economic activity was generated by these corporate welfare
queens. As I recall, not a *single* one of them returned even break-even
status to the communities involved, let alone generated positive
revenue for the government. Public funding for private business of this
sort is a scam, period.

The worst part of the scam is that the public often doesn't even get a say in
making the decision. That just happened here in Indianapolis -- the city is
spending half a BILLION dollars to build a new stadium/convention center
complex. At the same time, the mayor is planning to lay off cops and
firefighters because there's not enough money to pay them. No referendum. We
the voters basically have no recourse. All we can do is vote the clown out of
office -- in two years -- and we'll still be stuck with paying for the stadium
anyway.

See my sig...

P.S. Hey, Tim, just curious - how is your last name pronounced?

--
Regards,