Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Rachel Easson

Default OT legality of strobe lights on vehicles, plus rough ride

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:24:29 GMT, Ignoramus1729
wrote:

I bought this pickup last fall, from a nearby municipality, it has
only 35k miles on it despite baing 15 years old. They did not use it
much.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dodge350.jpg

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:37:42 GMT, Bruce L Bergman
replied:

IMHO I'd patch the paint but leave the orange stripes on the truck
so the cop can see it's and ex-State vehicle, and the legality of the
lights will never be an issue - unless you're dealing with a total
asshat like Sheriff Buford T. Justice. And if the officer is out to
hassle you and is looking for any chickens**t reason to give you a
ticket, let it be the amber warning lights. That's an easy one to get
a judge to dismiss.

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:53:42 GMT, Ignoramus1729
replied:

I agree. I am not terribly worried.

Regarding patching the paint, you are touching an interesting
question. What is the greyish stuff beneath the white paint, is it
primer?

Is there some cheap solution like applying some crap remover, and then
spray painting large areas?

Its bed is full of dried paint. I think that they used it to get to a
location, deliver paint and whatnot, and then it sat there all day
long waiting for road painters to finish.

If the bed is really lumpy with the dried paint, see about renting a heat
stripper. If it is not so bad, get a used bedlinerfor $30-50 -- the paint
underneath will stop the bed from ever rusting! about the touchups, try
lightly sanding where the grey shows through, and spray a couple of light
coats of white CHROMIUM primer, and where you see the metal -- tailgate and
spots on rear quarter -- you should sand off the rust and use quite a few
coats (comes in spray bomb -- can get it in stock usually in black and
white, or order the right colour from most Napa type places) This type of
primer sticks well and helps prevent rust. After that you don't really need
to paint because this type of primer comes as a gloss.

btw, I love your truck -- great shape for a 86-89. Let me know if you come
across another one with a slant six (225), 360, 400 or 440

rach