Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rghendrix

Default KIds in the shop...

First off let me give some background if I may. As a youngster I was
Hell on wheels but wasn't Clumsy or Stupid nor did I have a Death wish.
As a matter of fact as I approach the age of Fifty in October almost
everyone that knows me still tells me regularly to "Be MORE careful ,
You could have been Killed" or "You crazy Ba__urd its amazing you lived
this Long" or how about this one "Just try to Act and Be more
responsible , If not for your own safety , then how about the safety of
those around you" !! My older Brother and I have owned Hendrix Machine
and Tool , Inc. , a Small family Job Shop ( mostly very short run
Aerospace and Aircraft parts ) in Santa Maria , California since August
1977. I still have all my extremities and I dont ave Black lung ,
Eymphasema , Cancer , Nor do I have or will I EVER Develop an Overian
Cyst from breathing grinding dust and Coolant 8 to 12 hours a day or
Drinking too much Hard Liquor and Carousing with lots of loose women or
Smoking Bong hits of Marijuana ( I think I may have Glucoma) Minutes
before jumping off a 3000 foot cliff wearing a small parachute doing
whats known as FACE DIVING.

My Opinion is this - ( These are not ASSUMPTION'S they are FACT based
on OBSERVATIONS and EXPERIANCES during near on 50 years of Living and
doing just about any and every thing I ever wanted to try.)

Humans have only a Few things they can not be taught or learned, EVER !
However they can be taught ABOUT them , How they relate to the Human
condition , How their actions effect others and themselves , What
these God given and unlearnable / unchangeable traits are , How they
can be used or mis-used, etc. , etc.....
These Few things AND How we View and Deal with them is all within are
Mind and Hearts and the BASIC Rules born there can never be CHANGED by
teaching , punishing or by ignorance !

The FEW things that are Born Within a

1. Knowledge of Moral Rights and Wrongs ( from day 1 we endure feelings
of Guilt , Shame , Sympathy , Love , Hate , Joy , Helpless and
Hopelessness , Curiosity , Confusion , Despair and Pride and our mind
and bodys reaction to these has everything to do with how we deal and
conduct ourselves with other Humans ! ).

2. Comman Sense ( a 6 month old knows not to purposely stuff his or
hers hand into or thru a turning Fan Blade or Propeller just as they
knew not to eat the nieghbors Cat. Some how we just get this feeling
that something is JUST NOT RIGHT.).

3. A NEED of Purpose ( we see the world as our enviornment to be
Nutured , Built upon , Shaped , Molded ,Conquered , Improved and
Understood )

You must understand that in reality people get hurt and killed everyday
and we are POWERLESS over it. So hey , Give all them kids one hand tool
from within your shop and point them out the door and into the
nieghborhood with the One Condition that they cannot come back without
some kind of proof of actually use of the Tool for or on something (
preferably the way the Tool was intended to be used and for the side of
Good not Evil ) or without the hand tool issued to them.

Although COMMON SENSE cannot be taught , EARNED PERSONAL RESPECT and
RESPECT for others CAN be . And in finishing I MUST add , that not only
were we all young once and survived it ( some better than others
OBVIOUSLY ) , But that without the Proper RESPECT having been bestown
by each one of us upon all known TOOLs and every piece of SHOP
EQUIPMENT in our Lives , we would've all suffered or be suffering
Massive and QUICK loss of LIFE , LIMB and / or Blood.

JUST ONE MANS VIEW ! THANKS FOR LISTENING !

Robert G. Hendrix
American Outlaw Goods 'n' Services
Santa Maria , Ca. , 93458
U.S.A. , North American Landmass