Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Here are the pics I promised. Range hood install in small deli.

Colbyt posted this:

The problem as I
currently see it is that there does not seem to be enough room outside
to go through the wall .

I goofed on that one. I thought you would be defacing the mural. Did
not
realize that the wall in question was the "so close" one. Might still
be
possible if you did a vertical stack inside to just below the roof
line,
then went through the wall. You might be able to reach it from the
roof to
attach the cover.

visualizing the fan and motor as intregal to the hood. Can you
describe in more detail your ideas conerning a remote mount. That is:
would the fan and motor be intregal ? Or would the fan operate the fan
via a belt? Or is it something else you are describing?

A true commercial unit and the higher grade residential units function
like
the return air portion of an HVAC unit. There is a hood with filters
that
connects to duct with a fan at the exhaust end. The air is pulled
through
the system rather than blown through. Most are direct drive. Some use a

short belt to get the motor out of the air flow. Varies by
application.

From what I understand, it is not the building inspector who is
requiring the hood but the health department which is quite different.

That is most unusual. Asking is the only way to go. Maybe he just
wants a
"grease catcher". Did he specify that it has to be externally vented?
Could
you just stick up a SS home recirculator unit? The reality is that if
they
haven't needed one until now they really don't need one. Maybe you can
get
away with a "dog and pony show".

Reply: Good comments and questions, thanks again. I will post again
when I have some more specific information.
Lawrence