Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Errol Caldwell

Default Bandsaw Blade Breakage

I have had continuing problems with blade breakage in my Laguna 16HD. I have
tried 3 different sources of blades, thinking that I was purchasing blades
with poor welds. I have also tried different types of blades usually 3/8 3
or 4 tpi. I keep the tension as low as I can and also loosen the tension
after use. When the blades break it is always at the weld and they let go
with enough force that they get mangled inside the saw and are useless for
re-welding. I can often tell the blades are going to break from the
increasing tick tick tick the blades make as the weld strikes the ceramic
guides. I believe the guides are set properly as well. I use a piece of
paper to adjust the distance from the blade and keep the back guide about
1/16th distance from the blade. What could be the problem? Most of what I am
cutting is bowl and other woodturning blanks. Would too fast a speed be a
problem? The blade seems to track consistently so I don't think the wheels
are out of alignment. I am at a loss.