Posted to rec.woodworking
Billy Smith

Default Good how-to-sharpen-tools web site.

One part of Fraser's method that I have had first-hand experience
with is avoiding honing jigs and just do the honing by holding
the tool in the proper way. I have a good honing jig (Lee Valley
I think) and I've used it many times with reasonably good effect.
But a while back I was honing with the jig and for some reason
I was having trouble getting a chisel blade sharp. Out of
frustration I took the chisel out of the jig and honed it freehand
and voila, the blade got plenty sharp.

I don't know why this happened. Perhaps I was not using the
jig properly that particular time. But I just like doing it freehand
more than using a jig. Seeing that I can get a good edge with
the freehand method clinched it. So from now on, until I see a
reason to use the jig, I'm a freehand man.

--Billy

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
For those who like to sharpen their own hand tools, the following web
site has about the best instructions on how to do it that I've come
across. It has good background info, explains the why of each step,
has good photos, and is very well written. It is by Maurice Fraser,
a long-time teacher and contributor to Fine Woodworking mag.

http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/index.html

--Billy