Posted to rec.woodworking
HarryS

Default Good how-to-sharpen-tools web site.

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
For those who like to sharpen their own hand tools, the following web
site has about the best instructions on how to do it that I've come
across. It has good background info, explains the why of each step,
has good photos, and is very well written. It is by Maurice Fraser,
a long-time teacher and contributor to Fine Woodworking mag.

http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/index.html

--Billy

I ran across a reference to this site in an old Fine Woodworking magazine
and gave it a read. I'd never tried his method of sharpening but thought
I'd give it a go with a set of chisels. Mind you, I don't have the best
sharpening stones - a somewhat coarse silicon carbide stone with a
"moonstone" (fine aluminum oxide). Just using these two stones following
Mr. Fraser's methods, I was able to put a keen edge (sure seemed keen to me)
on these chisels and did it in short order. The edge I got is, I'm sure,
better than they had when new which was probably 20 years ago.

I have an old stone used for sharpening straight razors called a "Moor"
stone. I don't know the proper use of this stone but using it on one of the
chisels created a mirror finish on the honed edge. I don't have a leather
strop (am planning to get one, though), but I can't imagine that is will
improve much on the edge I already have. What I need even more is a good
technique for rounded chisels, like lathe gouges.

So, you're correct that Mr. Fraser's technique's are excellent.

Harry