Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Shim session 1

Harold,

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
snip-----

With the flycutter, I can already see a massive improvement in the
alignment. Suddenly, the "leading and trailing edges" both typically
leave marks on the surface. I won't claim that it's dead nuts yet
(pretty sure it's not), but it is probably not off by much.

Bill

Cool! That's what you're looking for.

It was nice to see.

My experience with mills indicates that you'll never get it "perfect".

Agreed. It if looks perfect, get a better indicator

There's rise and fall to some degree in almost all tables, so you get a
changing pattern, but on the average, you don't want a lip where cuts
overlap. It will always show a difference because of the variable feed
rate, almost non-existent at the edges of the cutter, and the coarsest @ 90
degrees. I think you get my drift.

I think so.

Bottom line is when the head is
correct, you don't get steps. That's the target, anyway. The cross-hatch
you mentioned as an excellent indicator that the head is correct in one
plain. When you can duplicate that pattern by moving the saddle, the head
has to be true.

That sounds like a good test. I'd either need something long enough to
clamp on either side of the test area, or I could turn my vise. I don't
remember whether the bolt slots align with the t-slots near 90 degrees,
but I could put the angle base on it long enough to try it. The vise
would not need to be precision aligned at 90 degrees, right?

Sounds like you're getting a handle on the machining thing, Bill.

You and others here have been a huge help. Thanks!!

Bill