Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default KIds in the shop...

Don Foreman wrote:

Kids and dogs should never ever be yelled at. If they are, then they
soon assume that you're not serious unless you're yelling. They
respond best to consistent (relentless?) calm, gentle (and yes,
loving) firmness. Disobedience must have an appropriate penalty,
but yelling ain't it. Teaching, encouraging, recognizing and
rewarding good behavior works even better. Note: ya gotta lead from
in front: teach by example. "Do as I say, not as I do" flat doesn't
work.

Don, thats beautifully put, and makes sense. We are raising a grandkid
who had it pretty rough - will try to keep in mind what you say. Have
no problem with the dog - hadnt realised you need to treat the kids the
same way! But must admit - its the RELENTLESS part that gets you down -
sometimes, parenting skills just go out the window and you just YELL

Andrew VK3BFA.