Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

Default Removing tile from a counter top

if you're trying to save the mud bed, go to home depot and rent the correct
tool for this. looks like a small jack hammer, runs off electricity. it'll
take you less than an hour to get off all the tile. wear eye and ear
protection.

"Big Al" wrote in message
Decided to remove the tile counter top from my kitchen and replace it with
something else. Some of the tiles were pitted, some were cracked and so
on.
It just looked old and worn. So I got out the hammer and went at it. Turns
out this is going to be a nightmare. The tile is set in cement, and it's
on
expanded metal that's nailed to some one inch pine boards. From the top of
the boards to the top of the tile it's 1 1/2 inches thick. It's taking way
too long to get it off. I'm using a hammer, chisel and a crow bar. Any
ideas
on a better way?

Al