Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Roy L. Fuchs

Default Does coating stranded copper wire with solder cause any issues or break any codes?

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 14:55:09 GMT, "Pop"
Gave us:

"Roy L. Fuchs" wrote in message
.. .
: On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 02:54:33 GMT, "Long Ranger"
: Gave us:
:
:
: "Pop" wrote in message
: news:TOyEf.30398$OY4.5664@trndny02...
:
: "Long Ranger" wrote in
message
: k.net...
: :
: : "Toller" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: : "Roy L. Fuchs" wrote in
: message
: : ...
: : On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:55:00 -0600, Bud--
:
: : Gave us:
: :
: : The question I asked was for a single tinned stranded
wire
: in a pressure
: : connection.
: :
: :
: : Stranded wire in a pressure connection cannot be
soldered.
: :
: : I am not doubting you, but can you give a reference for
that?
: : (I always crimp fitting on stranded, but was unaware of
this
: : prohibition...)
: :
: : It goes back to depending on the solder for the
connection. The
: solder is
: : holding the shape of the bundled strands. If it gets hot,
it
: gets loose. You
: : are depending on the solder to hold the pressure of the
: connector.
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
: In other words, it's an interpretation of the standardS
rather
: than a written rule?
:
: Pop
:
: Yes, that is why I said earlier that it was debateable, but
that I tended
: to agree with it.
:
:
: Not true. Not "debatable". Not an accepted practice.

If you become more familiar with rules & regulations gvt wise,
you'll learn that there are many, many cases which can only be
decided by those who "interpret" the rules because a specific
case isn't specifically covered. Thus, the outcomes depend on
the inspector/s interpretation of those rules, which in turn
makes them "debatable". It is, and always has been an
"acceptable" method in ALL areas of law inclucing the rules and
regulations.

Pop

Tinning stranded wire bundles as a prep for insertion into a crimped
connector or fitting is not now, nor has it ever been acceptable.
There are SPECIFIC rules against it is both the military and NEC
standards and practices.

It is NOT about any form of "inspector's interpretation".

The electronics industry, above all, is not of that nature either.
The guidelines have been set for years and the differences between
military, industrial and commercial practice are not all that varied,
yet they are concise enough to make your statement false.