Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Ping Mac Davis ! Shopsmith arbor diameterG.

mac davis wrote:

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:29:05 -0800, "William B Noble (don't reply to
this address)" wrote:

this is all pretty interesting - What I'm trying to figure out is
whether there is a a variation in size of the spindles - I can
certainly adopt a more precise way of drilling - I've got a 39/64
drill ready to go this weekend, but if there is variation in the
spindle size, then what is really needed is something that can
compress against the 5/8 shaft - maybe something undersized but split.
If all the shafts are pretty close to the same, then it's a simple
machining problem.

The use of beer can shims does have one significant advantage, I
should point out - it provides positive justificaiton for the need for
more beer.

bill n

Bill.. I did some reading on the shopsmith users group last night..
AFAICT, they've always had a 5/8" shaft...

hmm... maybe, for the sake of this discussion, I should amend that to:
they've always used 5/8" accessories on the shaft...

Found my el cheapo caliper. The 5/8" to 1" x 8 adaptor from Wooden Post
is a rock solid 0.625. Measuring the shaft is a bit more difficult - I'd
probably need to do a bunch of averaging - but it is obviously slightly
Less than 0.625, as the adaptor is a snug - but not press - fit.