Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Skip it OT.

Mungo two sheds Toadfoot wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:

So is there a service that compares with AOL, allows Linux and beats
AOL's price? Anyone here care to recommend one?

I am very happy with AOL but have some gripes:

1. They do not support anything but Windows -which I am a fan of even
though I want to change. It's a freedom of choice thing. It was years
before I got a battery drill but I can't recall how I managed without
one. I just didn't want to change. Who knows what I am missing? I may
find myself saving decades not running security scans and finding
patches all the time.

2. They no longer support usenet. Not that I could stand their format
when they did.

3. You can only use one computer on their router. No big deal a cable
to my other one would be good enough for me to work two through one.
And if I ws serious I could buy a different router.

4. I'm getting small glitches waiting for my hook up after AOL changed
their network software -at which time they doubled my bandwidth and
lowered the price a few bob.

I would without hestiation recomment AOL to newbies and lamers and I
consider them a very good ISP for people in my position: Not that much
of a geek but not disinterested in alternatives.

Haven't checked on prices but Pipex is OS independant. Had no trouble
setting things up with RISC OS. It's also been very reliable.

What are they like about Usenet?

I find Pipex extremely reliable, but fairly expensive compared to the likes
of Tiscali. On the other hand, I've heard that Tiscali are crap so for the
sake of a few quid a month I'm staying with Pipex.

That's the Tiscali saviour. They are one of the most popular according
to ISP Review but the site blasts them. If they don't change their
management v v soon they will have estranged a substantial portion of
Britain and France.

Are they related to Wanadoo?