Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Add light fixture to an existing switch that controls receptacle?

"rjh959" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is probally easy but I need to add a light fixture to one of my
rooms. One of the receptacles is controlled by a wall switch. I have
full access to the wiring via the above attic. Would I attach the lght
fixture wiring to the receptacle or the wall switch. I would like to
not have to do either and somehow splice the wiring together in the
attic area rather than having to fish wires through the receptacle or
switch wall. Any advice would be great.

I don't know if you have done this yet - Given what you posted here and as
replies elsewhere, and if I were to guess, your situation is likely the same
as what I have in all my bedrooms.

You feed goes to the switch and then from the switch to the outlet. I found
it much easier to fish to the switch, not the outlet. In my case only 1/2
the outlet was switched. I was able to move the switched leg in the switch
box so it was always hot and the connect for my light at the switch. I'll
try and draw the before and after using ascii art. View this with the
courier font. Your situation may be different ind its possible I do not know
what I'm talking about. Take everything you read here with that in mind. If
you are unsure of what you are doing then contact a qualified electrician.
Oh, and make sure the electricity if off before working on this.

before

BOX
---------------------|

SwitchBBBBBB|BBBB
BW | B
BW | BBBBB OutletW
BBBBBBBBBBB|BBBBBBBB OutletW
BWWWWWWWWWW|WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW |
---------------------|
BW
BW
BW
BW
BW
^^
feed

After

BOX
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW|WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWW
W | v
W SwitchBBBBBB|BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB LIGHT
WWWWBW |