Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default Question about roof timbers

Hi All,

I want to board my loft space but there are some small timbers that
I'm not sure what they are for.

The house was built in the 1960's and the loft space is fairly open in
the middle (not trusses). It's a standard pitched roof (not hipped).

Near the corners of the central section there are some rough timbers
bridging 3 or 4 joists. As I want to board the loft space I am trying
to figure out if it is safe to remove these timbers. The timbers are
close (6 inches ish) to a substantial cross member so I can't see the
reason for them (except one was used as a support for a cold water
tank but that's gone now).

Can anyone shed any light on whether it would be safe to remove these
timbers?

I'm sure I've left out some important info so please ask :-)

Mark