Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Loft Stairway

Mark D wrote:

I live in a very small 1930s semi and I'm in the process of converting
the loft space to a usable space...floorboards, ceiling and velux
window are installed...

Floor strengthened as well I hope!

I'm currently using an aluminum ladder for access.
I want to install a stairway but there is too little room for it to be
obvious how best to do it.

The rules for stairs into loft conversions are relaxed - more so if
there is only one habitable room up there. A "space saver" stair or even
aspiral may be permissable in these cases.

A friend had their's done professionally and the installers took a
chunk out of their bedroom to run a stairway and repositioned the
hatch at the top of the new stairway. Is this my only realistic
option?

Without drawings / photos it is impossible for us to say.

Have you got any ideas or are there any sites that deal with loft
conversions in small houses?

Try:

www.loftshop.co.uk

My site may also have something of use: