Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Removing tile from a counter top

Big Al wrote:
"thetiler" wrote in message

I don't understand why you aren't taking everything
out, boards, tile and all. What you've got there is
a good old fashioned mud job, which isn't going
to come out easy. You'll also ruin the integrity of
the boards anyway trying to pry and bang off the
tilejob. I'd be trying to pry that entire countertop
off in one big unit (with help from a strong friend).

thetiler

The counter is a large "U." And the top is countersunk about 3/4". I have to
get it to a point where I can get it out. The tile goes up the wall too, but
that comes off.

Countersunk in relation to what? The boards have to sit on top of the
cabinet boxes (carcases for you purists out there), and the setting bed
and tile is on top of those boards.

As was already pointed out, removing the whole shebang in as big of
pieces as you can manage is the easiest and cleanest way to do it.
Have you looked underneath the countertop to see how those boards are
attached?