Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Long Ranger

Default Does coating stranded copper wire with solder cause any issues or break any codes?

"Roy L. Fuchs" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 01:38:26 GMT, "Long Ranger"
Gave us:

It goes back to depending on the solder for the connection. The solder is
holding the shape of the bundled strands. If it gets hot, it gets loose.
You
are depending on the solder to hold the pressure of the connector.

It doesn't even have to get hot. Solder "creeps", period. It creeps
faster under pressure stress. That is the nature of soft metals.

Well there you have it then. When I said it was debatable I meant that there
were quite a few in my experience that think tinning is the be-all, and
end-all for copper connections under any circumstance. I have often argued
against it, and I wasn't even cognizant of the "creep" phenomena until now.
I had a boss for quite a few years that swore by it, and even tinned 250KCM
generator leads in a pot of melted solder. Those were sure fun.