Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Cincinnati Horozontal Mill problem

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
I volunteer at the local science
museum,rebuilding old machinery. Mostly steam
and early diesel tractors and road rollers. We
have a pretty good shop with a selection older,
but good solid machine tools. Among them is a
Cincinnati horizontal mill No.2 M1 ( serial
F5409-6) made in 1946. Another of the
volunteers(No , it really Wasn't me) pulled the
gearbox selector assembly off the side of it as
the machine appeared to be seized. It appears
that it somehow selected two different gear
ratios at once. It appears also, that the gear
selection is done hydraulically by pistons which
push selector arms in response to the position
of a multi-port valve .The question is -how do
you get the selector arms in the correct
position to re-assemble it. We will probably
have to replace the "o" rings on the pistons as
that is possibly why it selected two gears at
once.
Does anyone have any experience with this or a
similar machine? Am I looking in the correct
areas and are my suppositions reasonable?

We spent 2 hours today (and a fair amount of bad
language) trying to get those selectors in the
right positions to re-assemble it.

Tom Miller

Further to the saga of the horizontal milling
machine, we today decided to give it the Lazarus
treatment. We pulled the gearbox out of it and
immediately found the real cause of the problem.
The countershaft nut had backed off and allowed
excessive!! clearance in the bearings. we
tightened it up, decided we could live with the
wear in the gears and will re-assemble it next
week. Someone asked about photo's so I've put thee
in the dropbox.

Regards

Tom Miller