Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Favorite method for marking tools

I'd rather frisk people as they leave my shop--cavity searches on the more
suspicious--or more attractive.

Laser etching will proly become affordable one day, but in the meantime, the
*nicest* markings I've seen are stamped--really classy, and quick! Need a
flat surface on the tool, tho.

They make holders that can hold 8-18 characters, but these are a little
pricey, as are the stamps themselves--cupla hundred bucks, for everything..
Traverse has whole letter/number sets for $15!! But no holder. You could
likely make your own holder with not a lot of hassle.
They also have stamps w/ "figures"--not sure what's on them--$25 for 1/16,
1/8" sets.
I'm sure MSC/McM have their versions.

Course, stamping your tools/tough steel might shorten punch life, but the
figures ought to be fairly unique, so you would only need one punch.
Or, you could machine your own unique stamps, heat treat'em, etc. All's you
really need is some unique "branding". Outfits make these, as well, pretty
reasonably.
Unless you want to put your whole phone number, etc. on each tool--like
someone is going to return them....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Mike" wrote in message
t...
Looking for opinions on marking tools. Engraver - air or electric

any advantage cheap vs expensive

arc pencil ?

thanks