Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default Rubber Wiring - Safe or Unsafe?

"Harry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you both for your feedback. I will get on the case urgently (by
removing the fuses, I meant that I have cut off both lighting circuits
until I can resolve the issue - I am however still running power
through one rubber insulated circuit - see below).

The one ring main circuit which has rubber insulated wiring passed the
insulation resistance checks easily (the electrician said three times
the suggested minimum), and has caused no problems. In spite of this,
should I still be seeking to replace it, and how urgently?

Rubber insulated wire has a service life of 20 years, but has not been
installed for at least twice that long. Any rubber insulated cable should be
replaced immediately and it would be very advisable to pull the fuses on any
circuit using it until it has been replaced.

Colin Bignell