Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Long Ranger

Default Does coating stranded copper wire with solder cause any issues or break any codes?

"Pop" wrote in message

"Long Ranger" wrote in message
k.net...
:
: "Toller" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Roy L. Fuchs" wrote in
message
: ...
: On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:55:00 -0600, Bud--

: Gave us:
:
: The question I asked was for a single tinned stranded wire
in a pressure
: connection.
:
:
: Stranded wire in a pressure connection cannot be soldered.
:
: I am not doubting you, but can you give a reference for that?
: (I always crimp fitting on stranded, but was unaware of this
: prohibition...)
:
: It goes back to depending on the solder for the connection. The
solder is
: holding the shape of the bundled strands. If it gets hot, it
gets loose. You
: are depending on the solder to hold the pressure of the
connector.
:
:
:
:

In other words, it's an interpretation of the standardS rather
than a written rule?

Pop

Yes, that is why I said earlier that it was debateable, but that I tended
to agree with it.