Posted to alt.home.repair
Li

Default Gasoline Storage

You would also have to make sure the barrel was placarded or labeled. The
DOT has rules about anything like pulled over the road.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
MC wrote:
Pop wrote:

"MC" wrote in message
.. .
: George E. Cawthon wrote:
: Pop wrote:
:
: Hi,
:
: What do you folk do for gasoline storage for your generators?
:
:
: On our farm we used to have permanent tanks, We had to replace the
tanks
: once and the supplier said would need to now have EPA approved
: installation, etc. We did not want to go through the expense of that.
: The supplier told us that anything not a permanent fixture would not
: necessarily need to be approved by the EPA. Many construction

companies
: use portable tanks to take to job sites. So we got a small heavy duty
: trailer and mounted a small 100 Gal tank and then pulled down to the
: supplier to have filled instead of them coming out to us. Worked out
: better since when on one side of the property for a while we could

take
: the tank with us.
:
: May be an option, would still depend on laws in your area, May can
get a
: 55 gal drum that would be adequate and strap down on a suitable

utility
: trailer if you have means to tow somewhere to fill (Even the local

gas
: station)
:

Good brainstorming; thanks all. Looking like the drum idea is best
and the one i understand the best so far. Can't haul it to be filled
though 'cause around here they'll only put fuel (even kero) in
approved containers so I called to see about delivery: Can't find a
place yet that will deliver gasoline - they're only for fuel oil
types. They also said gas could only be delivered to a properly
installed EPA container, so I guess that's out.

Thanks
Pop

I would think any qty up to a 55 gal drum/tank that is mobile would just
be able to go to the local gas station and fill up. the attendants never
know if approved or not. Where I live everyone in any sort of
construction has custom made tanks that are not approved by anyone, they
just pull up and fill up and go. My truck hold 60 gal itself so qty
would not be an issue there.

Of course you are right, local codes have nothing
to do with how much gas you buy or essentially
anything you do at a gas station or on a highway.
Heck you could just buy a truck put two 30
gallon tanks in the bed, and use it just to hold
gas at home. Totally out of the jurisdiction of
local codes as long as it meets the state
roadworthy requirements.

The simplest procedure as suggested above is a
barrel on a small trailer. Total cost would be
about $200 or less, but you would have to register
the trailer for road use add a power connection
for brake, tail, and turn signal lights on the car
and add a simple ball hitch to your vehicle.