Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

Default Ping Mac Davis ! Shopsmith arbor diameterG.

Mac , I hate to be the one to do it. Guess I could put on my engineers
hat, go to harbor freight get an even cheaper micrometer and really stir up
things. My gut feeling tells me to get a known working micrometer and go
from there.G
Lyndell
"mac davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:03:47 -0800, "William B Noble (don't reply to this
address)" wrote:

Ah ha! kind of as I suspected. something is fishy in Shopsmith land.
A 5/8 drill should drill about a thousandth oversize, so drilling a
5/8 hole should lead to a good fit on a 5/8 spindle - but in Lyndell's
case it didn't - so we are "two amigos" (apologies to Disney) in
search of the invisible messanger to deliver the answer as to why this
should be. Meanwhile, experiments continue........

aha... now you've changed the question, Bill...
He asked what size the shaft was, not what size hole to drill in something
fit the shaft...

I can give expert testimony that 5/8" accessories fit the shopsmith... you
need
an engineer to tell you WHY it fits.. *lol*

Mac