Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

Default Ping Mac Davis ! Shopsmith arbor diameterG.

I was measuring across the diameter of the shaft, not the reverse taper
part where the setscrew sets. It is hard to tell .008 without some good
stuff. I will try to get someone with a good mic to check it for me. I can
tell you all this, when I fit any true SS arbor to it, there is 0 slop. You
can wiggle it up or down at all even with the setscrew loose. It slides on
easily but is a snug fit. It could be that it is difficult to machine on
purpose. That way they sell a lot of arborsG
Thanks Lyndell

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

Mac, Bill noble needs a second opinion on the shopsmith shaft
diameter. My
SS reads .6171" (about 1/128" shy of 5/8") with my el cheapo vernier
caliper. Ditto for the inside diameter of all my arbors and I have
some newer ones like a 1-1/4" sawblade adator from a mark V. Anyway,
if you have a way of measuring your SS (if you still have it) Bill and
I would appreciate the info. Same applies for anyone else here. Bill
thinks maybe mine is smaller, but all the arbors fit good and snug.
The problem is.......he has access to a manufactured adaptor that says
it fits SS and it is 5/8" true bored (he dosen't have a SS to test it
on though). I think that mfg. may have made it a little sloppy but I
don't know for sure. Any help from anyone will be most appreciated.
Man I can't help it if someone got into the non-filtered, left-handed
cigarettes when they manufactured this thing in 1949 (I checked the
serial # for a fact). But by trying newer arbors at least they are
consistent. I am joking about the above comment on the cigarettes. Not
joking about the year of mfg. I really like my shopsmith and that is a
good thing. It is all I have to work with.:-)
TIA Lyndell

Where are you measuring? Can't find my el cheapo, but everything says
5/8" and I have adaptors from other sources claiming 5/8" and they all
fit.