Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default making a hollow tailstock

Ken, I realized that Geoff's tailstock ram is solid. I meant my first
paragraph to explain why I didn't want to use a hollow tailstock.

Leo, first time I tried feeding the blank by winding the tail ram into
the spinning bit I kept the blank from spinning with my belt. That was
the infamous public dropping of my pants episode.

I used cheap 25" HF twist drill bits and mostly drilled thru the soft
pith of N.I. pine logs, then turned the lamp usig the holes as centers.
A shop made long D-bit would be better for harder stock.

Geoff could drill a hole thru a bar held in his banjo as a bearing
collar for a long bit on center and driven by a hand drill. However, the
poor guy asked for a simple way to make a hollow tailstock.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter