Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Default Musing if turning well is a lack of failure or a hope for glory.

Hi Derek

I think I weathered the storm, but the shovelling? That is an entirely
different matter.

I agree that differing thicknesses can lend interest to various areas of a
bowl or other form. The thing that I strive for is the consistent thickness
I want in a particular area, say the rim or the side or the bottom. Each
requires subtle changes in technique. For me, I like to know if I am coming
closer to my personal ideal. So if I can find that out best by cutting every
fifitieth or so bowl in two, why not?

One of the things this thread demonstrates, I believe, is the individual
approaches we have to the way we turn. I think we are, as a group, better
for it. At least I am having fun. :-) Me and Monty Python, in search of the
holy grail.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate