Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Ping Mac Davis ! Shopsmith arbor diameterG.

Ecnerwal wrote:

It's 5/8, unless it's been seriously abused.

I have one of pretty much the same vintage (within the first year of
Mark V construction - no access hole on the backside of the headstock,
green paint, Magna Engineering). I recently upgraded the quill/drive
system to the "newer" style, which was a few hundred $, but it got me
the new two bearing quill, as my old quill was sloppy after 50 years
of use, and I had never gotten around to doing the DIY two bearing
upgrade on it; AND it meant no more bleeping Gilmer belt (swapped the
drive parts to go to the Poly-V belt while I was at it). Them fancy
new parts swapped into the Olde Machine just fine. So there is hope if
your quill has, in fact, been abused.

How much effort is required to make the changes? Do you need more than
one pair of hands?

Thanks,
LD