Posted to rec.woodworking
Steven L Umbach

Default BT3100 saw - reasons not to buy one ?

I like mine but I wanted a light weight but belt drive saw for occasional
ripping duty. My Hitachi miter saw can do most everything else. The blade
that comes with it is actually pretty decent and so is the fence. I got mine
on sale at $199 and a $50 rebate and nothing else was close in the price
range. If you hurry Amazon has a deal going on purchase depending on the
purchase amount and for example you could get a Delta TS350 for $314.99
shipped which is getting some pretty good reviews for a lower priced table
saw. --- Steve

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

"matthew silver" wrote in message
.. .
I am considering a new tablesaw, mostly because I need a much larger fence
system.

I came across the Ryobi BT3100 - which looks like a pretty neat although
different saw.
In my initial Googling research, I found that additional rails are easy to
acquire from Ryobi and that the saw has a cult like following.

Requirements:

Annual Run time: under 50 hours / home dyi / furniture / hobbyist
small foot print: (I'm not moving so I can have a bigger shop -
not with this wife atleast )!
set up & accurate easy / uncomplicated set up where repeatable cuts
are simple
long lasting / well built - not a "5 season machine"
large cutting capacity - with / available extension rails
my list goes on, but excludes the unreasonable

I have only read good things about the BT3100 - maybe I may have
developed tunnel vision

What are the cons of this machine ?

Thanks in advance
Matt