Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default return on investment of partial basement finishing?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I am loooking for advice on modest ways we can improve the function and
value of our basement.

We bought a 60-yr old home last summer with a dark and unattractive
block basement. It is always dry, but only because the previous owner
installed effective french drains and a sump. There is efflorescence
on the walls and the sump is active during rain, so there is water
coming through the walls.

We would like to improve the basement for our own use and for future
resale value. My understanding is that a full basement remodel
typically returns less than 50% of cost. I don't expect 100% return,
but I don't want to spend piles of money that we can't posibly get
back at resale.

So I am wondering if--like modest kitchen upgrades--a partial basement
upgrade will have a better ROI than a full remodel.

My idea is to do modest upgrades to simply make the basement look
clean, bright and bone dry. My list so far includes:

* Add downspout extensions and re-grade soil to slope away from outside
basement foundation, to reduce outside water flow during rain.

* Clean basement walls, repair cracks, seal and repaint with waterpoof
masonry paint.

* Replace 5 old Hopper windows and rebuild wells.

* Paint basement floor.

* Electrical: Untangle electrical mess of wires, install good lighting,
multiple electrical sockets

* Add an emergency marine-battery sump pump.

* Maybe add simple baseboard heating.

Painting the floor might be a negative if the next folks want ceramic tile.

I am under the impression that the paint interferes with thinset adhesion.

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that.

Colbyt