Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default lcd or plasma

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
It depends on the application, size, and budget.

LCD generally is better for use with computers, where smaller screen sizes
are used, where off axis viewing is limited, and where brightness is needed.
PDPs are generally better for video, have better blacks, and are more cost
effective in larger screen sizes. PDPs have phosphors that age, though
newer sets have much improved this area.

These are generalizations. Each factor will vary among brands and models as
well. The best of one technology may outperform poorer designs in the other
type in any area. Prices in both vary greatly. View each set under the
conditions you will be using it and judge actual performance rather than
looking just at the specs, which may be very misleading.

My biggest gripe about LCD is the banding effect most(all?) of them seem
to show when displaying smooth color gradients. Look at a blue sky scene
and it normally looks a lot smoother on a plasma but has visible bands
of color across it on LCD and DLP sets. I've seen a lot of burned in
plasma sets, though that can be minimized by properly setting the
brightness and contrast. I've also seen a few with irreplaceable parts
that had craters blown in them. They run at much higher power levels
than LCD which tends to contribute to more failures.