Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick M

Default polarity and chargers

"Renata" wrote

Would having the receptacle wired "backwards" cause a problem with
battery chargers for cordless tools, etc.?

[SNIP]

Wiring a 110 volt receptacle "backwards" means that the neutral and hot
wires were swapped, and if you're depending on the neutral being neutral
(where it's connected to a metal case for example), a "backward" wired
outlet will have the hot wire connected to the case ... and it becomes a
shock hazard. Your charger doesn't connect anything to any exposed metal
(except plastic) so you shouldn't have any issues with that.

With regard to your batteries ... I am assuming your charger shows charge
complete, and that you get a very short run time from them (as compared to a
new battery). It is a pretty good guess that either one or more cells in the
battery pack have shorted, or have been charge/discharge cycled sufficiently
to dry out the electrolyte. In either case the batteries (or just the cell
pack inside) need replaced. I'm also assuming you have more than one
charger???? Could be a charger problem; easy to borrow another charger and
see if you get a better charge on your battery with the different charger.

Now ... if you had told me your battery wouldn't accept a charge ... that's
a whole 'nother thing. THAT is an easy fix ... you jumper two batteries
(your bad one and a freshly charged one) positive to positive, negative to
negative for about 1 minute, then pop the "bad" one back into the charger.
If it doesn't accept a charge, jump it again ... but for two minutes. Once
it takes a charge you're in good shape ... just remember to charge the
"booster" battery when you're done as well. This is caused by leaving the
battery on a tool and leaving the tool on (happens with regularity with one
of our 18-volt drills being dumped into the big red bag and the switch
getting shoved despite the trigger lock mechanism. You discharge the battery
below the level that the charger registers as "battery present - start
charge cycle" ... and by jumping the battery with a fully charged one, you
put enough current through to raise the voltage above the "start charge
cycle" level.

Hope this helps,

Rick