Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Electricians - Have an electrical question

3-wire 6 gauge ampacity is 55 amps for UF and 65 for THWN. At 50 amps, and
a 2% maximum voltage drop, you're limited to 105ft of #6 at 240V.

Since you're using a 60-amp breaker, I assume you shouldn't be drawing more
than 50amps, continuous, no? You call out 56+ amps. That's way too much
for a 60 amp magnetic breaker in continuous duty. OTOH, it is not too much
for the #6 wire.

LLoyd

"sparty" wrote in message
ps.com...
I posted this on the welding board as well, but someone recommended I
post here as well, since there are some electricians on this board. So
the post is below.

Well, I'm sure many read my post about wiring for a new welder and I
said I was going to run 6 guage wire(NM 6/3) from my Basement to my
Garage to hook up to a new Breaker Panel. This was going to be a 60
amp breaker in my basement to that Breaker Panel.

This has brought up some more questions in my mind.

I'm starting to wonder if 6 guage is safe for 60 amps? Or do I have to

get away from NM Wire and switch to Flexible Conduit and run a higher
amperage wire? Many times I see NM 6/3 recommend for 50 amps, but I
don't see many recommendations for 60 amps and higher for NM wire.
This wire will be about 70-80 feet, going through my Basement Ceiling,
up a finished wall, through my Garage Ceiling, and partially down a
Garage Wall.

This is everything that will be on the breaker box, with room for a
hair more.

Equip Voltage Amps Watts

Welder 230 27 6210
Compressor 230 20 4600