Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Rubber Wiring - Safe or Unsafe?

Harry formulated on Thursday :
I recently had an electrical problem where a short on a lighting
circuit in the loft caused my radiators and water taps to become live.

1st warning bell!

Obviously the plumbing is inadequately earthed, which I will remedy.
Additionally, a short-circuit tripped my (very old) trip switch. I
called an electrician, who sucked air through his teeth and told me
that all of the old rubber-insulated wiring in my house (both lighting
circuits and one ring main) would need to be rewired. He also took out
the fuses from the lighting circuits (which he said were reading very
low insulation levels), and fitted a 30mA RCB for the entire house.

I'm surprised he was willing to even touch it at all. He could well
have decided the whole lot was such a risk it needed to be disconnected
from the supply without further delay.

I am wondering whether he took the best course of action. Might my old
rubber-insulated wiring still be serviceable?

Not a chance.

If so, could I simply
rewire the shorted/failing sections (which are in the loft and easily
accessible)?

You could, but it would be a complete waste of time.

Will such a repair be possible, and if so, what are the risks
associated with it? Will it be safe?

Safe? absolutely not. The risks... The place going up in smoke possibly
your insurance refusing to pay out. Risks of death and/or serious
injury.

Will a qualified electrician undertake repairs like I've described, or
will they require me to rewire the whole house!?

An odd job man might do it, but certainly not someone with a reputation
and qualifications to guard.

Will a house with (functional) rubber insulated wiring pass an
electrical safety inspection for e.g. renting?

Highly unlikely. The safety should be taken even more seriously if your
intention is to put someone elses life at risk, than your own.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)