Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Rubber Wiring - Safe or Unsafe?

Harry wrote:

I recently had an electrical problem where a short on a lighting
circuit in the loft caused my radiators and water taps to become live.

Obviously the plumbing is inadequately earthed, which I will remedy.

Sounds like an understatement!

Additionally, a short-circuit tripped my (very old) trip switch. I
called an electrician, who sucked air through his teeth and told me
that all of the old rubber-insulated wiring in my house (both lighting
circuits and one ring main) would need to be rewired. He also took out
the fuses from the lighting circuits (which he said were reading very
low insulation levels), and fitted a 30mA RCB for the entire house.

I am wondering whether he took the best course of action.

Not quite sure if I follow the bit about removing fuses... The RCD ought
to save your life should something similar happen in the near future. I
would make sure you heve plenty of smoke alarms as well.

Might my old
rubber-insulated wiring still be serviceable?

Not a chance - you are living on borrowed time.

*You may not get another warning*

Will such a repair be possible,

might be

and if so, what are the risks
associated with it?

Your house bursts into flames or you get eletrocuted.

Will it be safe?

Nope

Will a qualified electrician undertake repairs like I've described,

I would hope not.

or will they require me to rewire the whole house!?

yes

Will a house with (functional) rubber insulated wiring pass an
electrical safety inspection for e.g. renting?

In your case no - you have already said that it is failing insulation
resistance checks.

--
Cheers,

John.