Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Yerbury

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

In message . 170,
Adrian writes
Steve Yerbury ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Cars are not permitted in the zoned areas around filling points in
the area where I work. I said nothing about petrol pumps.

Forgive me for being picky, but that's exactly what the conversation's
about...

The conversation was about whether a mobile phone could cause an
ignition in a potentially explosive atmosphere.

The conversation was about whether a mobile phone could cause an
explosion in a petrol station.

Look - it's simple.

You say that there's a high concentration of fuel vapour right next to
where the filling happens,

Yup

and that it won't fall to the ground

I didn't say that

Funny, that's how I read this :-
## Petrol vapour is heavier than air.

# agreed

## Nozzle in tank - phone to ear. Starter motor is usually near the
## bottom of the engine - so within about a foot or so of the ground.
## Near maximum petrol vapour surrounding it.

# Disagree. The concentration of petrol will be around the
# nozzle/filler. Unless of course you are in a confined space and there
# is no ventilation.

Perhaps you could clarify?

The highest concentration of vapour will be at the point when it first
enters the surrounding air. I.e. the nozzle/ filler. It is then diluted
by air the surrounding it. Yes the vapour is heavier than air but under
normal circumstances and ventilation dissipation is relatively rapid.

If you wish to find out more I suggest you look at the DSEAR guidance on
the HSE website

and be
ignited by the bluddy gurt big wurly-roundy-sparky electric motor
that's starting the engine before you drive off.

I didn't say that either

OK, so what about the non-hermetically-sealed solenoid that locks the
petrol filler flap as you walk away

Another possible source of ignition

and fire off the radio frequency
central locking remote?

RF too low

And if mobile phone frequencies are so unsafe from the very low power
transmitters in phones around petrol stations, why the hell do they
put the far higher power network transmitters into the big illuminated
sign NEXT to the pumps?

I never said that the RF from a phone would.

Ah, OK - so you happily accept that actually there's FAR bigger ignition
risks than a mobile phone being used umptythousand times a day in petrol
stations all round the country with ABSOLUTELY no problem...?

No, I don't *happily* accept it. I accept it however.
--
Gerbil