Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default Steel Lintel in Brick?

You have me confused.

3x3x3/16 is light for lintel iron
Lintels carry the masonry load over openings.
In order to carry the load, the masonry rests on the lintel.
Where does this gap come in?

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya,
I'm currently constructing an outdoor fireplace. I intend to
use 3x3x3/16" angle in a couple of places where I'll need a
lintel. I intend to paint it with high temp paint. Anyway,
I'm wondering just what sort of clearance I need around the
steel for thermal expansion? Obviously I need some mortar in
there to hold the bricks together but just not sure of how much
of a gap around the steel I need.
Thanks very much,
jlc